[Localization] [Grassroots-l] Localization Digest, Vol 16, Issue 14

Leon Aaron Kaplan aaron at lo-res.org
Tue Jun 10 12:58:43 EDT 2008

On Jun 10, 2008, at 2:35 PM, LASKE, Lionel (C2S) wrote:

>> You really want that everyone who thinks that 150 euros is not soo
>> much and that the XO looks sweet and otherwise has no technical know
>> how will need to unscrew the XO and change the keyboard?
>
> Okay, let's imagine that every buyer of the G1G1 Europe will be a
> hacker or a geek.
> So don't just spend time to assemble the XO, put all pieces in a
> box and let each buyer to "build itself its XO" like a Meccano.
> Don't take time to setup a build on it, each buyer will go to the
> web site to download the latest build and flash it using an USB key.
> Is it really your idea ?

no, but this is my experience with G1G1 in the US. There were *many*
dissatisfied buyers.

> Hmmm, my feeling it's very different. When I (finally) received my
> G1G1 from US, I was very proud to give it to my seven year's old
> son and seen that without help he could really play and learn with it.

but here is the hard question: how long has he been playing around
with it (as a kid from a developed country where his papa obviously
has the "big toys") ?

> OLPC means One Laptop Per CHILD or One Laptop Per COMPUTER-GEEK ?

but take a look at who bought the XOs in the US :))

reality is of course probably somewhere in between these two positions.

> See you soon at Hacker Space Festival in Paris ;-)

yeah!

:))

a+,
a.