[Localization] Script to generate all *.mo files for one or more languages

Niklaus Giger niklaus.giger at member.fsf.org
Thu Jun 5 15:06:12 EDT 2008

Hi

I had the chance to play around for a couple of days with one of the few OLPCs
in Switzerland in February/March 2008.

It took me a while to gather all the needed information to change the keyboard
mapping and language to German, but pages like
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Localization/Testing#Downloading_the_latest_PO_files
provided sufficient information.

It was a pleasure to discover that my preferred languages (de,fr,es) where
translated 99% or even 100%! Thanks a lot to everybody for their hard work.

As I am far too lazy to manually download, msgfmt dozens of file for each
language (If my family is complete you will hear Swiss German, German,
French, Korean and English at table), I wrote a small Ruby script to
automate this task and announced to OLPC-CH and to this mailing list.

As I was not yet subscribed to this mailing list it apparently got lost I
forgot to post it a second time. The problem came up again yesterday and
it seem that the script worked today.

Mike Vorburger from OLPC-CH (Switzerland) has put this script onto
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Switzerland/get_mo.

If there is more interest in this kind of script, I even would volunteer
to rewrite it in Python. E.g. would somebody consider this to be a good idea
to include this in default build image in order to ease updating to another
language. As far as I know it is very common in most countries to have several
languages spoken. Also for a second G1G1 program in Europe I think it could
be a nice goodie.

I would like to get your opinion, whether this is a good approach or not.
Or did I miss a point and there is a much easier way to get the actual
translation for a given language onto a XO when it is not included in the
default build?

Best regards

Niklaus