[Localization] Lexicon (was Re: Can you give me some advice regrading starting localization in Telugu ( South India) Language.)

Jim Gettys jg at laptop.org
Tue Jan 15 16:18:54 EST 2008

Note one of the major challenges that will be faced as translations are
made to some languages is choosing appropriate local language
terminology.  Some of the languages we already need to translate to
(e.g. Aymara, Quechua) do not have an existing terminology to draw upon,
from what I gather; someone fluent in that language will literally be
working on this problem without having other examples to draw upon.

This will be common as we wander away from the small number of languages
usually localized to.

So I agree entirely....

Some of this clearly is related to the HIG, so copying Eben: we should
ensure the HIG is consistent with this terminology lexicon.
                                    - Jim

On Tue, 2008-01-15 at 13:08 -0800, Edward Cherlin wrote:
> It struck me as I read this request for assistance that it would be
> good to create a file of all basic XO terminology on Pootle. This
> would not be used in any individual software code, but would allow
> people to find out how we say "computer" or "keyboard" or "screen
> rotate button" or "keyboard switching key" in a uniform manner. We
> would not be able to draw on this file directly in software, because
> in languages other than English these terms would be inflected or have
> gender or other attributes.
>
> On Jan 15, 2008 4:35 AM, Satyanarayana Murthy Saladi <saladism at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I am interested in Telugu localization and submitted a ticket as per
> > instructions.
> > How ever I am not a technical person and needs to learn quite a bit.
> > I know there are few GPL fonts in Telugu and OLPC has Telugu keyboard
> > layout.
> > So here are my 2 questions
> >
> > 1) How will I find out what font OLPC uses for Telugu, so that I can use the
> > same for my translations?
> > I am not even sure if this is a relevant question.
> >
> > ( I am currently using RTS with SCIM in Ubuntu machine with English keyboard
> > as per instructions. )
> > How ever I want to use the font  OLPC uses.
> >
> > 2) If I do not have technical ability to start Localization, At least, I
> > want to get all the words for core projects
> > as a text file so that I can translate in my computer and manually enter
> > them when some brighter person starts
> > localization. So it possible to get the words as text file so that I can
> > start the process.
> >
> > If you think I should RTFM, please point that to me.
> >
> > with warm regards to all.
> > Satyanarayana Murthy Saladi.

Jim Gettys
One Laptop Per Child