[Localization] Lexicon (was Re: Can you give me some advice regrading starting localization in Telugu ( South India) Language.)

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Tue Jan 15 19:11:55 EST 2008

On Jan 15, 2008 1:18 PM, Jim Gettys <jg at laptop.org> wrote:
> Note one of the major challenges that will be faced as translations are
> made to some languages is choosing appropriate local language
> terminology.  Some of the languages we already need to translate to
> (e.g. Aymara, Quechua) do not have an existing terminology to draw upon,

There was an article some years back about Rwanda starting to address
this in Kinyarwanda, and I assume that Soyombo has addressed the
problem in Mongolian. But yes: Kreyòl in Haiti, where existing French
terminology would only be a start; Hazaragi in Afghanistan, Oromo and
Tigrigna in Ethiopia, and many other languages face this problem.

I just checked on online English-Kreyòl dictionary. It has konpite for
computer, but nothing for keyboard. Perhaps klavye? Here is another
word for computer: òdinatè (from Fr ordinateur).

Here is a word list from http://www.geocities.com/frenchcreoles/kreyol/

Tèm Kompite Yo
Computer Terms
List by Emmanuel W. Védrine
(Used by permission)

English	Kreyòl
account, email 	kont
address book 	liv adrès
address, email 	adrès elektwonik
archive	achiv
attachment 	atachman
bite	bayt
cancel	kennsèl
capacity 	kapasite
CDrom 	sidiwonm
click	klike
compact disc 	dis konpak
compose, (to) 	konpoze
computer 	konpitè
crash / crashed	krach
data base	bazdone
data base 	detabez
delete 	dilit
density, double	doub dansite
density, high	wo dansite
density, single 	dansite senp
directory 	anyè
disc 	diskèt
email	imel
email message 	mel
file 	dokiman
file 	fayèl
folder 	katab
font 	klavye
format 	fòma
format (v) ...ted 	fòmate
forum 	fowòm
freeze / froze 	jele
hard drive 	haddrav
internet 	entènèt
KB 	kilobayt [KB]
keyword 	mo kle
laptop 	labtòp
laptop	pòtab
link 	lyenajwèb
log in, to 	lògin
log out, to 	lògawout
mailbox	bwat lèt
maillist 	lis abòne
maillist owner 	pwopriyetè lis
maximize 	maksimize
MB 	megabayt
megs 	mèg
minimize, to 	minimize
mouse 	sourit
OCR 	sistèm rekonesans optik
options 	opsyon
password	modpas
post / posted 	poste
printer 	prenntè
program 	pwogram
programmer 	pwogramè
recycle bin	bwat resiklaj
reply 	repons
restart, to 	restat
save, to 	sev
scan 	eskane
scanner 	eskanè
screen 	ekran
search	bouskay
search 	fouy
send, to 	voye
server 	sèvè
site	sit
software 	lojisyèl
software 	sòfwè
spellchecker 	verifikatè òtograf
start 	estat
subject 	sijè
subscribe 	abòne
trash can 	bokit fatra
unsubscribe	dezabòne
virus	viris
voice recognition 	sistèm rekonesans vokal
voice sythesis	sistèm sentèz vokal
web	wèb
web site 	pajwèb
window 	fenèt