[Localization] Lexicon (was Re: Can you give me some advice regrading starting localization in Telugu ( South India) Language.)

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Tue Jan 15 16:08:10 EST 2008

It struck me as I read this request for assistance that it would be
good to create a file of all basic XO terminology on Pootle. This
would not be used in any individual software code, but would allow
people to find out how we say "computer" or "keyboard" or "screen
rotate button" or "keyboard switching key" in a uniform manner. We
would not be able to draw on this file directly in software, because
in languages other than English these terms would be inflected or have
gender or other attributes.

On Jan 15, 2008 4:35 AM, Satyanarayana Murthy Saladi <saladism at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I am interested in Telugu localization and submitted a ticket as per
> instructions.
> How ever I am not a technical person and needs to learn quite a bit.
> I know there are few GPL fonts in Telugu and OLPC has Telugu keyboard
> layout.
> So here are my 2 questions
>
> 1) How will I find out what font OLPC uses for Telugu, so that I can use the
> same for my translations?
> I am not even sure if this is a relevant question.
>
> ( I am currently using RTS with SCIM in Ubuntu machine with English keyboard
> as per instructions. )
> How ever I want to use the font  OLPC uses.
>
> 2) If I do not have technical ability to start Localization, At least, I
> want to get all the words for core projects
> as a text file so that I can translate in my computer and manually enter
> them when some brighter person starts
> localization. So it possible to get the words as text file so that I can
> start the process.
>
> If you think I should RTFM, please point that to me.
>
> with warm regards to all.
> Satyanarayana Murthy Saladi.

Edward Cherlin
http://www.EarthTreasury.org/