[Localization] OLPC for reading/writing Japanese

Yuan Chao yuanchao at gmail.com
Tue Jan 8 09:03:36 EST 2008

On Jan 8, 2008 3:06 AM, dmt <dmt at netcom.com> wrote:
>  I was able to get my OLPC to behave nearly like my old Fujitsu OASYS Lite typewriter.
That sound great.

> Perhaps as Walter Bender suggests, it would be useful if your web page formed the basis for a
> wiki.laptop.org entry. I would be glad to augment it with what I have come up with for
Sure. Just need some time to get it updated in advance.

> (BTW, I allowed your email address through the spam filter of the ISP I use.
Thanks.

BTW, there are also some considerations:
* SCIM used to cause a quite frequent wakeups on CPU. (see
linuxpowertop.org) I'm not sure if this is already fixed in the
upperstream
* Several package like SCIM contains many non-necessary (to XO)
dependencies and it's kind of waste on the limited disk space. I
remember that SCIM RPM uses perl to do the configuration which is
actually not working for XO. A repack for XO would be needed.
* High quality CJK fonts with good coverage in unicode is rare. IPA
fonts are very beautiful, but the license issue needs to be taken good
care of. The unicode coverage is not enough for CKV. UnifontCJK-ng and
WQY-Zhenghei are still under heavy development. These fonts may need
RPM packages or re-pack for XO.

--
Best regards,
Yuan Chao