[Localization] Revamping the glossary

Alexander Dupuy alex.dupuy at mac.com
Fri Feb 15 13:50:22 EST 2008

Hi Sayamindu,

Thanks for taking action on this.  I have found the Pootle terminology
suggestions to be helpful, but as you note, there were not very many
terms, and more would be quite helpful.

> I wrote a small script which goes through all
> the POT files that we have atm, makes a list of all terms that occur
> more than once, and finally makes a POT file out of the terms. I have
> attached the resultant POT file with this mail.

I'm not familiar with the .pwz extension used in the URL, however it
appears to be a regular POT file, so that's fine.  However, I'm not sure
that this is the one that you meant to send; it appears to just be the
Record activity POT file.

> Do you think the attached POT file makes any sense - and are there any
> other terms that you want included ?

Not having seen the file that you intended to send, I can't say if there
are terms that are missing.  However, it seems clear that in order to
translate this effectively, it will be necessary to have some context
for the terms - at a minimum, parts of speech (noun, verb, etc. -
requiring multiple entries for a given term), and it might be useful to
record which POT files included this term.

If you could post the "small script" that you used to generate your list
as well, I'd be willing to do some work enhancing it to add those kinds
of functionality.  Another bit of functionality that might be useful
would be to support running this on the translated POT files as well,
and providing possible translations (marked as fuzzy) based on words
that appear in most or all of the translations for the original message
containing the word.

It certainly seems that this would be something that could usefully be
re-contributed back to the Translate Toolkit
(http://translate.sourceforge.net/wiki/toolkit/index) and there are
definitely some useful ideas in the following use case document:
http://translate.sourceforge.net/wiki/toolkit/creating_a_terminology_list_from_your_existing_translations
which could probably be incorporated into an automated tool for
generating (updating) terminology POT from a collection of translated
POT files.

@alex

mailto:alex.dupuy at mac.com