[Localization] Fwd: OLPC Afghanistan localization

Khaled Hosny khaledhosny at eglug.org
Tue Dec 30 23:48:51 EST 2008

On Wed, Dec 24, 2008 at 08:00:46PM +0530, Sayamindu Dasgupta wrote:
> Hi Nasir,
>
> On Wed, Dec 24, 2008 at 12:54 PM,  <gulzade at paiwastoon.com.af> wrote:
> > Hi dear All,
> >
> > OLPC Afghanistan project is on going and we are localizing XO labtops in
> > our lab and will deploy soon.We have some problem in localizing in
> > Afghanistan languages(Dari and Pashto).
> > The translation stuff has been finished .We are new in XO labtops if you
> > help us we would be thankful.
> > 1.I upload sugar.mo file in /usr/share/locale/fa/LC_MESSAGES/
> > and I changed /home/olpc/.i18n  to  LANG="fa_AF.UTF-8" it works properly
> > dari and pashtoo.
> > problem with activity!!!
> > when I put (translated)Journal-activity.mo to
> > /usr/share/activities/locale/fa/LC_MESSAGES/    directory
> >  it doesnt work :(
> > 2.How can we change the appearance of sugar UI font and font size.
> > 3.How can we change the text of sugar interface like Arabic right to left
> > 4.After localization how can we provide one image both Dari and Pashto
> > Afghanitan language from XO .
> > is it possible because of old version which I am using 8.1 and when I type
> > in terminal   locale -a ther is no  fa_AF (Farsi for Afghanistan)
> > 5.How to change  appearance from left-to-right to  right-to-left like Arabic.
>
> I'll take a look on why the Sugar interface is not going from right to
> left.
You will need a GTK translation file (gtk20.mo) with at least single
message that denotes the default text direction. If Pashto (or any other
Afghanistan language) doesn't have a GTK translation, a dummy file with
those strings should suffice.

msgid "default:LTR"
msgstr "default:RTL"

Regards,

--
 Khaled Hosny
 Arabic localizer and member of Arabeyes.org team