[Localization] Fwd: OLPC Afghanistan localization

Chris Leonard cjlhomeaddress at gmail.com
Wed Dec 24 16:51:16 EST 2008

On Wed, Dec 24, 2008 at 2:24 AM, <gulzade at paiwastoon.com.af> wrote:

> Hi dear All,
>
> OLPC Afghanistan project is on going and we are localizing XO labtops in
> our lab and will deploy soon.We have some problem in localizing in
> Afghanistan languages(Dari and Pashto).
> The translation stuff has been finished .We are new in XO labtops if you
> help us we would be thankful.
> 1.I upload sugar.mo file in /usr/share/locale/fa/LC_MESSAGES/
> and I changed /home/olpc/.i18n  to  LANG="fa_AF.UTF-8" it works properly
> dari and pashtoo.
> problem with activity!!!
> when I put (translated)Journal-activity.mo to
> /usr/share/activities/locale/fa/LC_MESSAGES/    directory
>  it doesnt work :(

Gulzade,

It is important that your localization be deposited in OLPC's Pootle server
for a number of reasons.  It looks like the Pashto PO files are fairly
complete there:

https://dev.laptop.org/translate/ps/

Although the Honey project (of many additional activities) has a few
incomplete PO files.

https://dev.laptop.org/translate/ps/honey/

However, the Dari PO files on deposit are NOT very complete.

https://dev.laptop.org/translate/fa_AF/

If you have completed those translations, please deposit them into Pootle as
that will help others to assist you in troubleshooting your problem; make
them available to other Dari and Pashto speaking users; and also allow the
Language Packs that Sayamindu mentioned to be prepared centrally through the
normal OLPC build process.

> 4.After localization how can we provide one image both Dari and Pashto
> Afghanitan language from XO .
> is it possible because of old version which I am using 8.1 and when I type
> in terminal   locale -a ther is no  fa_AF (Farsi for Afghanistan)

It is possible that this page may have some information of interest on that
question.

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Customizing_NAND_images

It is also possible that it may not do you any good if there is not a locale
for fa_AF and ps_AF present when you list locales with locale -a

You may need to file a Trac ticket requesting that those locales be created.