[Localization] Fwd: OLPC Afghanistan localization

Sayamindu Dasgupta sayamindu at gmail.com
Wed Dec 24 09:30:46 EST 2008

Hi Nasir,

On Wed, Dec 24, 2008 at 12:54 PM,  <gulzade at paiwastoon.com.af> wrote:
> Hi dear All,
>
> OLPC Afghanistan project is on going and we are localizing XO labtops in
> our lab and will deploy soon.We have some problem in localizing in
> Afghanistan languages(Dari and Pashto).
> The translation stuff has been finished .We are new in XO labtops if you
> help us we would be thankful.
> 1.I upload sugar.mo file in /usr/share/locale/fa/LC_MESSAGES/
> and I changed /home/olpc/.i18n  to  LANG="fa_AF.UTF-8" it works properly
> dari and pashtoo.
> problem with activity!!!
> when I put (translated)Journal-activity.mo to
> /usr/share/activities/locale/fa/LC_MESSAGES/    directory
>  it doesnt work :(
> 2.How can we change the appearance of sugar UI font and font size.
> 3.How can we change the text of sugar interface like Arabic right to left
> 4.After localization how can we provide one image both Dari and Pashto
> Afghanitan language from XO .
> is it possible because of old version which I am using 8.1 and when I type
> in terminal   locale -a ther is no  fa_AF (Farsi for Afghanistan)
> 5.How to change  appearance from left-to-right to  right-to-left like Arabic.

I'll take a look on why the Sugar interface is not going from right to
left. For translations, I suggest that you use the language packs.
Instructions on language packs are at
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Localization/LanguagePacks

I would also highly suggest that you use 8.2, as it is much better than 8.1.

I'm not sure how one can change the font and font size. Which font and
font size do you want to use ?

Thanks,
Sayamindu

--