[Localization] Catalan translation

Chris Leonard cjlhomeaddress at gmail.com
Thu Dec 18 20:21:10 EST 2008

On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 6:27 PM, annonygmouse <annonygmouse at yahoo.co.uk>wrote:

> Also if there are any priorities I tell me which are and I'll try to
> start with one of them.

annonygmouse (Sebastià),

Welcome, no doubt Sayamindu will be along before long to tell you that he
has granted you privs on that project.

This would be my suggestion for the order of translation in your case.  If
someone else from the list thinks this order is wrong, I'd love to hear
comments.  I've been thinking that the l10n pages on the wiki could use a
little love, and some better guidance for where a new language project
should get started seems like a logical piece of information to have on the
wiki, so I welcome thoughtful input or correction of any mistaken ideas I
may present here.

1) Terminology
This has terms that appear in mulitple POT, good for consistency, helps with
defining new terms (if needed, as it sometimes is for rarer languages of
less-developed nations).

2) Glucose 0.82
The core of the Sugar UI, critical.

3) Fructose 0.82
Certain key Sugar activities, very important.

4) Honey
A lot more activities, in small chunks.

5) Scratch and Etoys
Put towards end because of size alone, they are very, very nice projects to
have localized.  I wouldn't want to start an argument about which is more
important, it just seems to me that Honey offers smaller POs where
"completion" can be readily achieved, thus producing a sense of satisfaction
in the translator, spurring them on to bigger challenges like Etoys.

6) (more or less as a group)
Without the constraints of a deployment requiring support for older
versions, these can probably follow later (or even be partially picked up by
msgmerge from newer versions of the projects when translated).

Glucose
Fructose
Update 1

OLPC
This is marketing material, has novelty value only at this point.

Pootle
It is always nice to feed translations back upstream to the people that make
Pootle possible.  In this case, their l10n into Catalan seems fairly
complete and if you would like to see the Catalan strings while translating,
perhaps the completed PO for Pootle should be downloaded from
http://pootle.locamotion.org/ca/ and used to replace the blank one we have
now.  Otherwise, I might have placed this higher in the list.
If anyone thinks I have that order (or descriptions) wrong, please chime
in.  If any of you would like to take another look at the localization pages
on the wiki and contribute to polishing them a bit and making them better
attuned to getting new projects started, please jump right in and begin
making wiki edits.