[Localization] OLPC Kreyòl Localization

Bastien bastienguerry at googlemail.com
Sun Aug 17 12:04:19 EDT 2008

Hi Marvin,

Marvin Demuth <marvindemuth at sbcglobal.net> writes:

> At 05:36 PM 8/1/2008, Bastien wrote:
>
>>I know that some people here in Haïti also helped a bit.  We'll have a
>>translation session with the team next week, surely on wednesday; I'll
>>keep you posted about the progress.
>
> Bastien, has your team made any progress with the Kreyòl translations?

Yes, they have been actively working on it last week.

Someone in the team is now admin.  We plan to review the 100%-completed
projects next week, in order to commit the translations and use them in
with the next joyrides.

(We hadn't any ht_FR locale in glibc but I submitted one to Sayamindu,
who has been really helpful here!)

The project leader in Haïti also planned an official validation for the
translation.  I'm not fond of it, but it looks like a necessary step to
have officials convinced that the XO speaks good haitian kreyòl.

> Can anyone at OLPC Central give a progress update on the shipment and
> implementation of the 13,000 + XOs for Haiti?

Yesterday I updated the News page on the OLPC wiki:

  http://wiki.laptop.org/go/News

(I expected Jim would do it, as he sends the Community newsletter on the
community-news@ mailing list, but apparently he's got too much work.)

We are now in the process of 1) fostering the core team, 2) hiring the
2nd-level core team (the ones who will train teachers in each EFACAP),
3) planning the teaching training itself.  Normally, the 2nd-level team
will be selected within 2 weeks, and we'll start with the training
immediatly.

The main issue right now is that there is no electricity in schools.
So we're also working on this...

So many things to do!

Best,

PS: I keep track of the things I do for OLPC here:
    http://lumiere.ens.fr/~guerry/olpc.php

--
Bastien