[Localization] SCIM

Sayamindu Dasgupta sayamindu at gmail.com
Wed Aug 13 08:53:51 EDT 2008

Hi Edward,

I have been playing around with SCIM and I would probably try to
replace our entire XKB based setup with SCIM for 9.1.0. If you want to
use SCIM right now, you will have to follow the directions at
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/SCIM

Ideally, for 9.1.0, I would not want the user experience to change,
and I will not like SCIM to expose itself (ie, the SCIM panel, or any
sort of notification icon) by default. To get SCIM on the XO by
default, the current TODO list looks like

* Strip out all the unneeded stuff (as Korakurider mentioned, there's
Perl, and I also got some comments that the total amount of
dependencies pulled in by some optional SCIM components can run upto
100 MB, which is unacceptable)
* Port our existing keymaps to SCIM (this is going to be quite a bit
of grunt work, around 30 layouts to port)
* Make a tool that will automagically configure SCIM (based on the
data from the OFW). We do this for XKB by a shell script.

There's a very interesting tool in SCIM called scim-config-agent - I
think it can be very useful for our automagical SCIM configuration
script. However, I cannot find much documentation for it, if anyone
knows more about this, please do let me know. Currently I'm looking at
the SCIM config file, trying to figure out the parameters for
scim-config-agent.

Cheers,
Sayamindu

On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 10:36 AM, Edward Cherlin <echerlin at gmail.com> wrote:
> I see that we have finally gotten around to SCIM (Smart Common Input
> Method), which will make our Chinese, Japanese, Korean, and some other
> users of complex writing systems very happy. What do we need to do? Is
> there a way to use SCIM now? I would like to test CJK input in various
> activities ASAP. (I was in the Peace Corps in Korea starting in 1967,
> then lived in Japan, then studied Buddhist Chinese.)
> --
> Silent Thunder [ 默雷 / शब्दगर्ज ] is my name,
> And Children are my nation.
> The Cosmos is my dwelling place,
> And Truth my destination.

Sayamindu Dasgupta