[Localization] SCIM

Nicolas Spalinger nicolas_spalinger at sil.org
Fri Aug 15 14:27:50 EDT 2008

> I have been playing around with SCIM and I would probably try to
> replace our entire XKB based setup with SCIM for 9.1.0. If you want to
> use SCIM right now, you will have to follow the directions at
> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/SCIM

Hi,

In case you are not already aware of it there is a plugin to extend SCIM
to use a wide variety of existing smart keyboards and to easily create
new ones: KMFL (released under the GPLv2): http://kmfl.sourceforge.net/

The main developer has created a test .xo:
http://linux.lsdev.sil.org/wiki/index.php/KMFL_Activity

For example there is a keyboard designed to be used for the languages of
Ethiopia with the Abyssinica SIL font already included in the OLPC
build: http://scripts.sil.org/AbyssinicaSIL_Download

And here are two catalogs to give you an idea of the variety of keyboard
already out there with a fair number of them reusable
http://scripts.sil.org/SILKeyboards
http://www.tavultesoft.com/keyman/downloads/keyboards/search.php

I imagine various authors would be willing to let OLPC use them under an
appropriate open license.

KMFL is a pretty easy but powerful method to create and test complex
script keyboards. The description language is described here:
http://www.tavultesoft.com/keymandev/documentation/help/main/guide.php

--
Nicolas Spalinger
http://scripts.sil.org