[Localization] Offering help with Pootle setup and maintainance

Rafael Enrique Ortiz Guerrero dirakx at gmail.com
Wed Oct 24 17:23:14 EDT 2007

Hi Sayamindu,

For now we have a workaround, that uses symllinks and bash scripts with some
gettext tools,
This is working very well, but would be nice to hack around
versioncontrol.py, to add the fully git integration. from what i see your
solution could be the one.

Can you send to use your versioncontrol.py and potree.py, to try this out in
a test installation?.
to see if we got the commit and update procedure straightforward to git.?

Thanks!

On 10/24/07, Sayamindu Dasgupta <sayamindu at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 2007-10-24 at 15:11 -0300, Xavier Alvarez wrote:
> > Syamindu and all,
> >
> > We have already imported into pootle most of the stuff that we
> > define as Core & Bundled [1] into the Pootle installation [2] -
> > but the server is going to be moved (iow, don't bookmark it ;)
> >
> > What we need now is to have language administrators. Takers?
> >

> Hmm.. I'm not a native speaker for any of the initially targeted
> languages, so I don't think I'll be of any help for this ;-)
>
> > There are still some workflow issues to iron out (ie: pushing back
> > into dev.laptop.org) but we can work them out together.
> >

> I tried to follow up on the effort Antonio Ognio has been putting wrt
> GIT integration, and it seems that he tried to follow use symlinking to
> work around pootle's expectation of the translation directory layout[1].
>
> It looks like an alternative way to use the backport Antonio made for
> the GIT support and modify Pootle itself so that instead of checking for
> translations in the format (according to GNU conventions)
> $podirectory/$project
> it checks in
> $podirectory/$project/po
>
> I'm not familiar with the internals of Pootle, but I did the following
>
> 1. Did a git clone git://dev.laptop.org/projects/read-activity
> read_activity in my $podirectory (somehow Pootle does not like '-' in
> the $projectdirectory)
>
> 2. Modified some stuff in Pootle/potree.py so that it checks for the
> translations in $podirectory/$project/po
>
> Then I added the read-activity to pootle as a project
>     read_activity:
>       fullname = "Read Activity"
>       description = "Blah Blah"
>       checkstyle = "standard"
>       localfiletype = "po"
>
> The thing seems to work. Does this seem sensible (I'm asking this since
> I'm not very familiar with what has been done upto now).
>

> Warm regards,
> Sayamindu
>

> > Bottom line: consider this mail as the pre-pre-announcement of
> > OLPC-Pootle being online :)
> >

> Congrats :-)
>
> Cheers,
> Sayamindu
>

> [1]
> http://www.nabble.com/Help-integrating-Pootle-1.0.x-with-GIT-t4585437.html
>
> --
> সায়মিন্দু দাশগুপ্ত (Sayamindu Dasgupta)
> http://sayamindu.randomink.org/ramblings

Rafael Enrique Ortiz Guerrero
One Laptop Per Child
rafael at laptop.org