[Localization] Offering help with Pootle setup and maintainance

Xavier Alvarez xavi.alvarez at gmail.com
Wed Oct 24 17:45:20 EDT 2007

On Wednesday 24 October 2007 17:00, Sayamindu Dasgupta wrote:

SD> On Wed, 2007-10-24 at 15:11 -0300, Xavier Alvarez wrote:
SD> > Syamindu and all,
SD> >
SD> > We have already imported into pootle most of the stuff that
SD> > we define as Core & Bundled [1] into the Pootle
SD> > installation [2] - but the server is going to be moved
SD> > (iow, don't bookmark it ;)
SD> >
SD> > What we need now is to have language administrators.
SD> > Takers?
SD> >
SD>
SD> Hmm.. I'm not a native speaker for any of the initially
SD> targeted languages, so I don't think I'll be of any help for
SD> this ;-)

Native would be nice, but is definitely not a requirement... at
least initially.  BTW, the 'green' languages I got are:

Amharic, Arabic, English, Spanish, French, Hausa, Hindi, Igbo,
Nepali, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Kinyarwanda, Thai, Urdu, &
Yoruba

There are others in the server... and we can always add any
language (as long as we have translators :)

SD> > There are still some workflow issues to iron out (ie:
SD> > pushing back into dev.laptop.org) but we can work them out
SD> > together.
SD> >
SD>
SD> I tried to follow up on the effort Antonio Ognio has been
SD> putting wrt GIT integration, and it seems that he tried to
SD> follow use symlinking to work around pootle's expectation of
SD> the translation directory layout[1].

Symlinking works fine and is a recognized way to hook up a
repository into Pootle. The problem with git is that (afaik -
which is not much) things start getting hairy you are trying to
commit a file and said file is in a directory with other
translations that you don't want to update.

AFAIK, git commits, updates and pulls things at a directory level
(all or nothing, not a specific file) so given that all the xx.po
are in the same directory, and you want to commit say es.po, you
will actually commit (update and pull) all the other xx.po in
said directory.

The initial git integration is possible (we've done it and
apparently you too), but then the operation and use still has
unknowns due to discrepancies on what Pootle thinks is the atomic
unit (a file) and what git uses (a directory).

This is the reason that we have (initially) opted for a
stand-alone install that allows us to get the l10n process going,
and at a later point explore the possibility for a full
integration with git... so any independent research and testing
is more than welcome! :)

BTW, you can check the [[Pootle]] page in the wiki [1] for our
ramblings on the subject.

Below are just some comments on git

Cheers,
Xavier

[1] http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Pootle

SD> It looks like an alternative way to use the backport Antonio
SD> made for the GIT support and modify Pootle itself so that
SD> instead of checking for translations in the format
SD> (according to GNU conventions)
SD> $podirectory/$project
SD> it checks in
SD> $podirectory/$project/po
SD>
SD> I'm not familiar with the internals of Pootle, but I did the
SD> following
SD>
SD> 1. Did a git clone git://dev.laptop.org/projects/read-activity
SD> read_activity in my $podirectory (somehow Pootle does not like
SD> '-' in the $projectdirectory)

Yes, the name of the projects are a bit limited, no -,. just
alphanumerics :(

SD> 2. Modified some stuff in Pootle/potree.py so that it checks
SD> for the translations in $podirectory/$project/po

Actually, I think you didn't need to modify potree. At least in
the docs it references the "GNU layout" (which is the one in
d.l.o -- all .po in one directory) as being supported and
recognized. Still, that poses some other tradeoffs, as the
inability to have specific project glossaries... and with a
volunteer translation community I think it would be very valuable
to have it.

SD> Then I added the read-activity to pootle as a project
SD>     read_activity:
SD>       fullname = "Read Activity"
SD>       description = "Blah Blah"
SD>       checkstyle = "standard"
SD>       localfiletype = "po"
SD>
SD> The thing seems to work. Does this seem sensible (I'm asking
SD> this since I'm not very familiar with what has been done
SD> upto now).

See [[Pootle]] and/or join us in #olpc-pootle (specific to pootle)

SD> Warm regards,
SD> Sayamindu
SD>
SD>
SD>
SD>
SD> > Bottom line: consider this mail as the pre-pre-announcement
SD> > of OLPC-Pootle being online :)
SD> >
SD>
SD> Congrats :-)
SD>
SD> Cheers,
SD> Sayamindu