[Localization] Complicated Procedure, Restricted Wiki

Jim Gettys jg at laptop.org
Thu Oct 11 11:10:33 EDT 2007

There are two issues here:

1) Fedora and translations for packages used by OLPC from Fedora (or
Linux in general; Launchpad translations are also useful; just may take
longer to get upstream to Fedora until Fedora updates packages from
upstream).

2) Localization of OLPC activities. Translations for OLPC's activities
are now very, very urgent to complete.

OLPC is not in a position to directly affect the Fedora project, who, at
the moment, have the bigger problem; OLPC's problem is relatively small
as we're not concerned with translating all of a full Linux
distribution, a seriously large challenge, and which I am fully
sympathetic to the difficulties involved.

But we've tried on a number of occasions to get problems resolved there,
and haven't succeeded, and we've run out of time.

Volunteers working on OLPC have been configuring Pootle and have that
working, though have been having trouble with the localization back end
for Git, to commit the changes back into repositories.  We have a
volunteer to help with that until such time as the Git backend can be
made to work.

Their work is documented here: http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Pootle. A
suggested possible workflow until git support can be worked out
(volunteers?  It's been harder than Xavi or Rafael have expected to get
GIT support worked out).

Xavi's proposal is attached.

Unless I hear complaint, I plan to go ahead with this plan.

Comments?
                                Best Regards,
                                    - Jim Gettys