[Localization] Demo notes/542/lang-he

Samuel Klein sj at laptop.org
Sun Oct 14 10:49:45 EDT 2007

Hello Dror,

Thanks for the feedback.  We should add these kinds of notes to the
Glossary page on the wiki, for localizers in all languages; Feel free
to update this with other words & phrases as well.

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Glossary

I'm copying our l10n list as well.

On Sun, 14 Oct 2007, Dror K wrote:

> I need some clarifications about the text in order to move on with the
> translation:
>
> 1. Let's start with a minor issue – I translated "bunny ears" as
> "donkey ears". I think it sounds better that way in Hebrew, and it
> bypasses the "arnav" vs. "shafan" issue which is always a headache.

Yes, that's a harey subject.  What do you call the antenna ears for
older televisions?

> 2. "Note that the laptops in these figures are B2 units (B4 units have a
> dual-tone XO on the back of the machines)." – what is a "dual-tone
> XO"?

There is an XO icon on the back of the laptops.
"dual-tone" = "two-color".   cf.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/60312252@N00/637705218/

> 3. What exactly is a "home view"? Is it the main display or something
> like that?

Yes.  This view:
http://flickr.com/photos/joshb/899320248/

> 4. In the icon XO paragraph, I didn't fully understand the following
> sentence: "Each laptop is assigned a color dyad that is used as an
> identifier throughout the interface". Is it a circle of color dyads?
> Where does it show?

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/OLPC_Human_Interface_Guidelines/The_Sugar_Interface/Icons

The "color dyad" is a pair of 'stroke' and 'fill' colors, used in most
icons in the interface : the various icons are defined with a fixed-width
outline, and are displayed in two colors (the stroke and fill colors
of the laptop that started the activity or event related to that icon).

Examples: in the center of the home view, your own XO appears with its
colors (in the image above, light blue fill and light purple outline).

Here's another example, from the initial boot screen where you choose your
name and colors:
http://flickr.com/photos/elfineer/1297363603/

These colors are used for the icons along the bottom of your home view /
the frame, in the icon representing you or your shared activities on the
mesh view that everyone else sees, and in the home view when launching a
shared activity (you can have many different color dyads in the 'activity
circle' in your home view, in each case reflecting the color of the laptop
that started the activity).

Regards,
SJ