[Localization] Pootle UI Suggest issue

Simos Xenitellis simos.lists at googlemail.com
Mon Nov 19 20:52:57 EST 2007

Sayamindu, the file I was working on was the Terminology for the Greek language.

On Nov 19, 2007 6:21 PM, Xavier Alvarez <xavi.alvarez at gmail.com> wrote:
> Simos,
>
> As far as I can tell, once a suggestion is made, it can only be
> seen when reviewed... why? Probably a feature.
>
> This will be a bit annoying for people with the review rights
> enabled as they will find themselves with several identical and
> recurring suggestions.
>
> For example, lets say that consensus has been reached that 'Home'
> will be translated as 'foo' (instead of 'bar')... people unaware
> of the decision will keep on suggesting 'bar' for 'Home' (which
> may be the case in some situations, but never for kids)...
>
> Bottom line: I don't think you are doing anything wrong :)

Thanks, I'll pass this down to our translators.

I am trying to think of a workflow on this. At the moment, as team
coordinator (el) I have admin rights for the terminology component.
This helps me to assign others that register for the Greek language,
so that they can translate directly (no suggestion). Once the
translation is completed, I'll remove translation rights so that they
can make suggestions. At the same time I'll review the translation. I
will be able to pick up rather easily any suggestions that have been
made.

As I can see, team coordinators are currently admins for Terminology.
It would be good to make admins for the other components as well.

> Another 'ugly' feature of suggestions is that they are associated
> with the *comment* of the source-code-line in the PO. A feature
> inherited in Pootle's development that should now be a bug. This
> means that suggestions associated to msgids with matching
> comments are all 'pooled'. This is obvious in the Terminology
> project in which I failed to set unique comments. For example:
>
> #: core-glossary-various
> msgid "Audio"
> msgstr ""
>
> #: core-glossary-various
> msgid "Video"
> msgstr ""
>
> Given that both msgids have the same comment line, a suggestion
> for "Audio" will also be associated with "Video" (and viceversa).
> In the review process, we'll be face with what may look like
> totally unrelated suggestions. Instead of rejecting it, just skip
> it... a more suitable msgid will eventually show up where you can
> accept it, reducing the same-comment-suggestion-pool.
>
> Sooner or later, the Terminology project will suffer a
> reorganization that also incorporates other *real* features that
> aren't being used now.

Is it easy to add a counter for each message for the lack of line
numbers so that the comment becomes unique?

Cheers,
Simos