[Localization] Pootle UI Suggest issue

Xavier Alvarez xavi.alvarez at gmail.com
Mon Nov 19 13:21:54 EST 2007

Simos,

As far as I can tell, once a suggestion is made, it can only be
seen when reviewed... why? Probably a feature.

This will be a bit annoying for people with the review rights
enabled as they will find themselves with several identical and
recurring suggestions.

For example, lets say that consensus has been reached that 'Home'
will be translated as 'foo' (instead of 'bar')... people unaware
of the decision will keep on suggesting 'bar' for 'Home' (which
may be the case in some situations, but never for kids)...

Bottom line: I don't think you are doing anything wrong :)

Another 'ugly' feature of suggestions is that they are associated
with the *comment* of the source-code-line in the PO. A feature
inherited in Pootle's development that should now be a bug. This
means that suggestions associated to msgids with matching
comments are all 'pooled'. This is obvious in the Terminology
project in which I failed to set unique comments. For example:

#: core-glossary-various
msgid "Audio"
msgstr ""

#: core-glossary-various
msgid "Video"
msgstr ""

Given that both msgids have the same comment line, a suggestion
for "Audio" will also be associated with "Video" (and viceversa).
In the review process, we'll be face with what may look like
totally unrelated suggestions. Instead of rejecting it, just skip
it... a more suitable msgid will eventually show up where you can
accept it, reducing the same-comment-suggestion-pool.

Sooner or later, the Terminology project will suffer a
reorganization that also incorporates other *real* features that
aren't being used now.

Cheers,
Xavier

On Sunday 18 November 2007 23:59, Simos Xenitellis wrote:
SX> Hi,
SX> I am trying out Pootle and I cannot get the Suggest feature
SX> to work. I am not sure what's the workflow here.
SX> The problem I get is that when I click to add a translation
SX> as a suggestion, the translation is gone.
SX> It does not show whether you are a Reviewer or not.
SX> Am I doing something wrong?
SX>
SX> Simos

XA
=========