[Localization] How to make multiple writing character sets available?

Korakurider korakurider at gmail.com
Mon Dec 10 06:47:18 EST 2007

Hi, All.

> 2007/12/10, Alexander Todorov <atodorov at redhat.com>:
> Is it possible to use different .po files for Japanese.
> Ones with Hiragana, other with Kanji and other with Katakana?
> Then you'll have to configure the software locale as something as:
> jp_HR.UTF-8, jp_KN.UTF-8, jp_KT.UTF-8.
  Sole etoys can support any numbers of languages with any names.
  (On startup of etoys, initial locale is set to same as platform)
  And user can switch language on the fly (with globe icon in toolbar)
or can consume contents in various language even underlying OS is in
one specific locale.

  Anyway I can only talk about etoys...  We have been trying to be
good citizen of OLPC world.  we will need to obey rules that platform
enforce.  So Fedora/RH folks could describe the situation better than
me?   For instance we want to use same Japanese fonts for all of jp*
variants.  Can X support this?

> > Is it possible to use different .po files for Japanese.
> > Ones with Hiragana, other with Kanji and other with Katakana?
> > Then you'll have to configure the software locale as something as:
> > jp_HR.UTF-8, jp_KN.UTF-8, jp_KT.UTF-8.
>
> If that is Ok and there's no side effects, then that will be a very practical
> idea as a solution, I guess. At this moment, I myself can not decide whether
> to prepare jp_HR.UTF-8, etc by extending well-known convention.
 Yes we will need to develop good convention and framework.  But at
least you could start translation with experimental locale naming
(Ofcourse Pootle needs to support it) and adjust it later IMHO.

>- 3 times more Japanese translations, more work, more bugs.
   Japanese use mix of three kinds of characters, so I don't think we
need three translations :-)
   Even for two translations, we will need to prioritize our work...

Cheers,
/Korakurider