[Localization] The virtue of being fuzzy... or what should be translateted in border cases

Andi andi at fliwatuet.net
Fri Dec 7 13:56:51 EST 2007

Hello List,

On Tue Dec 4 17:41:18 EST 2007, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

>  IMHO we are obliged to invent native terms for any tech phrases. Our
>  target group are kids just learning to read.
>
>  Having English terms sprinkled throughout the experience is terrible.
>  I see this with my own kids, who struggle a lot when reading stuff
>  off product packaging, ads, etc.
>
>  And even although those English terms seem very appropriate and
>  untranslatable to us adults, and using native terms seems very
>  awkward, it is only a question of familiarization with these new,
>  native terms.

Do the majority of the translator and/or decision-maker think that using
native terms as much as possible is the way the OLPC-XO translations
should be ?

I fine with that, but I think it should then homogeneous with all
translations.

And what is about "official" assimilated english terms like e.g. "Chat" ?
According to the "Duden", a official dictionary like the Oxford English
Dictionary, the english term "Chat" has been accepted as such in the
german language.

So, prior changing the translation e.g. of "Mesh-Network" to
"Maschennetzwerk" from "Mesh-Netzwerk" to I would like to know that is the
intention of the parties ?

Andi