[LB-XO-LiveCD] Sugar Persistence + hard disk

Dr.-Ing. W. Rohrmoser contact at rohrmoser-engineering.de
Thu Jan 15 06:49:21 EST 2009

> Questions about:
>
> 1.
>>If you would like to use the XO-LiveCD frequently, I recommend an
>>installation on harddisk. This is described in the PDF documentation
>>and offers a lot of options. Feel free to ask if you need further
>>assistance.
>
> i follow your steps from PDF and last XO Livce Version and add this to
> my grub:

> title           OLPC Sugar Desktop
> root            (hd0,4)
> kernel          /opt/olpc/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.26.6-lb-i386 root=/dev/sda5
> quiet
>                 vga=0x317 video=vesafb:ypan
>                 lb_hwdetect xmodule=vesa
>                 lb_device=/dev/sda5:ext3:/opt/olpc
>                 lb_aufs=320M lb_toram=no lb_config=8.2
>                 lb_system=build-8.2-767
> initrd          /opt/olpc/boot/initrd-2.6.26.6-lb-i386
> boot
> It seems to bot but then i got a error:
>
> Error: No backup media found stoped

I assume that you have double checked that /dev/sda5 is
the partition to which you have copied the CD-ISO content and
that this partition is formatted with an ext3 filesystem.

Try to boot again - after you get the error message-
the initrd stops and drops you into a shell.

Now you could investigate the situation:

first try:

   > mount /dev/sda5 /mnt/media

    - if it fails there is probably a driver missing. I will
      upgrade to kernel 2.6.28 and include more hardware
      support in the next version anyway

if the last step succeeded please try:

   ls /mnt/media

     - if it fails, please tell me the error message

if you could see the files and directories then please
add one more boot option to your grub menu.lst file

  lb_policyfile=XO-LiveCD.pdf

if this works it was my fault not to update the documentation
accordenly

Thank you for your support, feedback is the best way to improve
software.

Greetings

   Wolfgang

> What is missing on my setup, do i need edit other file?
>
> 2.
>>Yes you can use boot options to specify a device for persistance
>>storage. Example: lb_aufs=/dev/sdb1:ext2 will use the first partition
>>of the device sdb1 which should be formatted with a ext2 filesystem.
>
> which file is needed to edit to get that persistance?

you need to edit /boot/isolinux/isolinux.cfg and to rebuild
the CD or better create a USB pen with two partitions.

> should it work on usb pen drive too?

yes it you can configure to boot from USB pen (partition 1)
and have persistance on USB pen partition 2.