[linux-mm-cc] Compcache as Ramdisk

Nitin Gupta nitingupta910 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 10 02:16:10 EDT 2009

Hi Vijayendra,

On 07/10/2009 10:57 AM, Vijayendra Suman wrote:

> My main motive is not to run the compcache block node as a swap
> partition. I would like to use this partition for shared memory. My
> application has to do lot of IPC's but i do not have much memory on
> board so i have decided to use compcache block device node as a
> generalized block device.

How about this:
  - Create a small tmpfs partition, say 64MB and create filesystem over
this.
  - Create ramzswap device (probably with a backing_swap) with memlimit
of say, 1GB.

This extra level of indirection using tmpfs effectively gives the same
effect as a 'generic ramzswap device'.
I think this is what John suggested.

> Also I have checked formatting this node with some block as ext3, this
> works perfectly well.
> With ext2 it is having some issue i will look in to it, But with fat
> 16, 32 I see a hang in the system which is a result of the analysis i
> have done. I will let you know f i find some thing.
>
>     1) swapon /dev/ramzswap
>     2) mount -t tmpfs -o size=1G,nr_inodes=10k,mode=0700 tmpfs /space
>

> I do not want it as swap partition

I cannot think of any other method than tmpfs+ramzswap for your case.

Nitin