[linux-mm-cc] Minimal/Example .config file.

John McCabe-Dansted gmatht at gmail.com
Sun May 13 09:21:52 EDT 2007

Howdy, I was planning to build a binary for Fiesty with Compressed
Caching (and Suspend 2) enabled. I have achieved this, however when I
build the 2.6.21 kernel it is huge. It takes up 0.5GB of disk space
and the deb (which I am planning to host once the known stability bug
is fixed) alone takes up 190MB.

The offical Fiesty kernels use less than 200MB of disk space. I am
wondering how to reduce the size of the kernel. A few questions:

1) Does anyone know why the 2.6.21 vanilla kernel (compiled with the
fiesty .config & make oldconfig) is so much bigger than the official
kernels?

2) I could try turning off debug symbols. Is this a good idea for an
experimental kernel?

3) Does anyone have a minimal .config that cuts the kernel down to
some reasonable size while keeping everything that is vital for e.g. a
laptop?

--
John C. McCabe-Dansted
PhD Student