[OLPC library] new bugs, old bugs, borrowed bugs in the wiki/manual/PDF

Anne Gentle annegentle at justwriteclick.com
Sat Feb 7 13:19:57 EST 2009

Hi all -
Answers to the best of my knowledge are below - thanks for circling back on
these!

On Fri, Feb 6, 2009 at 6:15 PM, S Page <info at skierpage.com> wrote:

>         I realize everyone's a busy volunteer.
>
> Anne Gentle | Just Write Click wrote on 2008-11-30:
>
>  There's a new non-G1G1 titled PDF - Adam Hyde, can you replace that
>> g1g1_2.pdf <http://en.flossmanuals.net/publish/PDF/g1g1_2.pdf> with the
>> newer revision of the manual's pretty print PDF (or tell me how to do it?)
>> :)
>>

> The date of the PDF at that URL is still 2008-11-11, still has the "G1G1"
> title.

Adam's got a big BookSprint going on now, but we'll sort that out soon. I'll
also see if another admin at FM can help. I was embarrassed when I went to
someone's house this week to help her with her XO and saw the big ol' G1G1
she had printed. :)

>  So, the truth, the whole truth is, that the laptop.org/manual <
>> http://laptop.org/manual> and PDF and Help Activity should be
>> synchronized.
>> I will republish for the Help Activity and laptop.org/manual <
>> http://laptop.org/manual> though.
>>
> But all three are unchanged and still not in sync.  I filed
> http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/9239, "update and release new Help
> (activity)"
>
> By the way, where is the master on flossmanuals.net that produces these
> three formats?  Is it some hidden "remix" of the XO and Sugar manuals?

I don't think it's hidden from remix (or Objavi) but the book editing itself
is admin-only access to prevent confusion when others edit. The source files
are all the chapters in the Sugar and XO books. Every single chapter has
INCLUDE code pointing to one of the chapters from either the XO or Sugar
manual. It works quite well! But yeah we're trading off clarity and support
ease with what might appear to be black magic. :)

>     BUG: All the HTML pages are untitled because they have two <title> tags
>>    and the first one is blank.
>>
>> I'll log this as a bug in trac.flossmanuals.net <
>> http://trac.flossmanuals.net> to have dev investigate further. Thanks for
>> pointing it out.
>>      BUG: The PDF's Title in document properties is "Untitled"
>>
>> I'll log this as a request for enhancement at trac.flossmanuals.net <
>> http://trac.flossmanuals.net>.
>>

> I don't see Trac bugs for these.

Oh, shoot! I'm glad you pointed this out - I logged these two and one
additional where the title page for the PDF is now saying Inkscape, ha ha.
Logged with attachments showing what you found. Thanks!

>     In the September thread "FLOSS Manuals visual presentation" I mentioned
>>    a bunch of issues, they're all still present.  In
>>    http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/8513 I provided CSS that addressed some
>> of
>>    them.  Is there anything else I should do to ensure they and this new
>>    feedback is not forgotten?  I'll transfer it to Trac bugs or
>>    Flossmanuals if it'll help.
>>

>> Oh thanks for taking care of CSS work - hmm.
>>

> Note that the CSS fix I came up with is a small piece of the issues. The
> ALL CAPS TOC, the confusing white is/isn't a link, the wrong orange, the
> lack of distinction between visited and unvisited, etc.  See
> http://lists.laptop.org/pipermail/library/2008-September/000755.html But
> it's worth getting it out.
>
>   Next action? I will use that CSS in the next "publish" to the Help
>> Activity. Do you, Seth or Mel have any bandwidth to show me how to use git
>> to "check in" the new HTML files (with your new CSS?) Or if I attach new
>> HTML to that ticket (8513), could you re-package for the Help Activity.
>>

> I have no file system or git access, just wiki admin privileges, and none
> of this stuff is on the wiki.

Yeah we still have additional support we need for the Help Activity 1. CSS
updates (though looking at the ticket it does seem to be mostly resolved
within the parameters given) and 2. git/code access.

Thanks again for coming back again - it's very useful to have quality checks
on our docs. I can tell you take pride in this - we don't always see this
level of dedication in the corp. world. :)
Anne

--
Anne Gentle
email: annegentle at justwriteclick.com