[OLPC library] what to do with pre-8.2 info on the wiki ?

S Page info at skierpage.com
Thu Nov 13 02:53:06 EST 2008

(I have a feeling the people who understand this are frantically working
on "final content for the new G1G1 website", sorry to bother you.)

There is a fundamental issue that blocks updating pages like [[Getting
started]] and [[Neighborhood view]] with new information.
Now that 8.2.0 is the latest stable and a new crop of users running it
are about to descend on the wiki,
--> What is the status of pre-8.2 releases ?

1. They are obsolete and except on "How to update pages", info
pertaining to them can simply be deleted.  (Note that wiki pages have
history and there's always
http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://wiki.laptop.org/)
** We just have a {{TODO update info to 8.2}} template on a declining
set of pages.

2. They are lesser "the way things used to be" and should be de-emphasized.
** Maybe pages have an == In earlier releases== section
** and/or use {{For 8.2|older=$PAGENAME/Archive}} and {{Old release
info}} templates.

3. Or are earlier releases still important and we still need to cover
how things worked in Update.1, Ship.2, etc., etc.

My vote is 1.
But I want the web site czar or at least the
president-elect-8.2-transition-team to make a definitive statement,
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/OLPC:Style_guide#Pre_8.2_information is ready
to receive your words of wisdom.

Thanks indeed.
--