[OLPC library] Searching for Quality Digital Books for Kids

Rebecca Hargrave Malamud webchick at invisible.net
Sat Nov 15 23:25:02 EST 2008

Hello!

My name is Rebecca Malamud and I am a UI Designer and a member of the
Open Library team. SJ Klein suggested that I  post a message to this
list.

I have been working on a UI prototype for the XO laptop, and am
searching for more quality material to add to it -

I am using Open Library to search for materials

http://openlibrary.org/search?q=subjects%3A(children)

(clicking the checkbox for "scanned books only" will show the ones
that are in the public domain)

Alternatively, this tag cloud provides a different overview of the
same collection at the Archive:

http://www.archive.org/browse.php?field=/metadata/subject&collection=iacl&view=cloud

I am primarily looking for books that are useful in a classroom
environment (K-12) - so any suggestions are most welcome. Since we
are dealing with public domain books, it makes sense to try to
maximize the topics that are still relevant today - literature,
poetry, history, nature, etc.

Thanks for any help you can provide, and if you have any other ideas
on relevant collections or resources, please let me know!

Best regards,

Rebecca Malamud

PS. Please email any suggestions you have to me at webchick at invisible.net