[OLPC library] 'OLPC-Health' takes off !!- MATLAB for OLPC?

Benjamin M. Schwartz bmschwar at fas.harvard.edu
Mon Jan 28 19:30:40 EST 2008

On Mon, 2008-01-28 at 16:03 -0800, Edward Cherlin wrote:
> > If the MATLAB software could run on OLPC it could be used to monitor disease
> > in the field.
>
> We can use APL for the same purpose. I have the rights to a full
> ISO/ANSI standard APL system, I-APL, that fits into 29K. There is an
> even more powerful version called J that is no-cost but not Free (not
> GPLed). I plan to talk to the owners about letting out an earlier
> version.

1. This is not the place for this discussion.  This is the Library list.

2. OLPC is not an opportunity to push your favorite pet language.
Python is the recommended language for all purposes on the XO, and other
languages should be used only when using Python is infeasible.  Using
Python maximizes the ability of beginning students of programming to
understand the code that runs the system.  It also avoids wasting
precious megabytes on a dozen different interpreters.

3. The operating system includes NumPy, the Python module for numerical
computing.  This provides more than enough number crunching capability
for any reasonable OLPC application. See http://numpy.scipy.org/

--Ben Schwartz