[OLPC library] 'OLPC-Health' takes off !!- MATLAB for OLPC?

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Mon Jan 28 19:03:18 EST 2008

On Jan 28, 2008 7:34 AM, Brown, Henry, DoIT <Henry.Brown at state.nm.us> wrote:

> OLPC + MATLAB - Tricorder for developing world
>
> Could Matlab create Greene Chip DNA microarray software to run on OLPC?
> http://www.mailman.hs.columbia.edu/news/Lipkin_GreeneChip.html
> http://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/fileexchange/loadFile.do?objectId=2573
> http://laptop.org/
> http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/01/080121100909.htm
>
> If the MATLAB software could run on OLPC it could be used to monitor disease
> in the field.

We can use APL for the same purpose. I have the rights to a full
ISO/ANSI standard APL system, I-APL, that fits into 29K. There is an
even more powerful version called J that is no-cost but not Free (not
GPLed). I plan to talk to the owners about letting out an earlier
version.

> I worked with AIDS patients and child nutrition programs while in the Peace
> Corps.

We didn't have AIDS to worry about when I was in the Peace Corps in
Korea. Just TB, malaria, plague, lung and liver flukes, smallpox,
amoebas, encephalitis, and rarely yellow fever. %-[

> We saw kids die every week from RSV and dehydration caused by diarrhea.
> We did not know what antibiotic to give.
> OLPC could use MATLAB software to integrate DNA array results to diagnosis.
> An expert system similar to Mycin could then be used to diagnose disease in
> the field via the web.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mycin
>

> Henry Brown
> henry.brown at state.nm.us
> cell 795-3680
> office 505 827-2509
>
>  ________________________________

Not so fast. We need to start with pulse, blood pressure, temperature,
digital stethoscope, and digital video for eye, ear, nose, throat, and
skin. Yes, the other stuff is good when we have the basics covered.

I was in a study a few years ago testing a device for reading blood
sugar levels using a single-chip laser. It was a prototype for
diabetic blood sugar meters that don't require a finger stick each
time to get a drop of blood. The same principle should apply to
devices for measuring the blood concentration of any molecule with a
sufficiently distinctive spectrum.

> (3) "Software"
> Developing software that asks the user a series of questions and helps in a
> preliminary diagnosis. Links to useful websites and online portals.
>

> David Greisen, Seth Woodworth, Pascal Scheffers, Benjamin Schwartz are some
> of the people that have been working on "Content"
>
> Ian Daniher, Rafael Ortiz, IMSA OLPC chapter participants (Scott Swanson,
> Kevin, April Hope) are some of the people working on "Hardware"
>
> Please add onto this list and let everyone know what you've been working
> upon.
>

> David Greisen and Mika Matsuzaki are co-ordinating efforts on the "content"
> related projects.
> Ian Daniher and Kevin(IMSA) are co-ordinating efforts on "hardware" projects
> We still need volunteers to co-ordinate efforts on the "software" projects

Ed Cherlin

> Apart from that, we need to setup an advisory board comprising of Doctors,
> field workers, medical professionals etc. to guide the efforts in all three
> areas.
>

> How you can start participating in the "OLPC Health" efforts --
>
> (1) Send an email to library mailing list[1] with a short introduction of
> yourself.
>
> If you'd like to head/undertake projects, please put up project proposals
> and let all know that you're looking for participants/volunteers/developers
>
> If you'd like to volunteer in projects, please mention your area of
> experience and/or what areas you'd be interested to volunteer in.
>
> (2) Categorize the list of volunteers on the wiki page
> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Health and add your name into the appropriate
> category. Please create other categories if content, hardware, software
> don't seem to represent the efforts very well.
>
> (3) Help the "OLPC Health" team connect with field workers, MDs , Doctors,
> Physicians towards the formation of an advisory group
>
> (4)  There is a conference call that we have on the 10th of February. Please
> propose agenda items!
> For people in Boston/Cambridge area -- please help  me organize the
> call/meeting !
>

> That was a long email! Thank you for your patience in reading through it.
>
> best,
> Arjun Sarwal
>
> ps - please avoid ccing the devel mailing list further. Let's continue this
> discussion only on the library mailing list[1].
> pps - join library mailing list[1]

> ---
> Arjun Sarwal
> <arjun at laptop.org>

> This inbound email has been scanned by the MessageLabs Email Security
> System.
>

> Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail, including all attachments is for the
> sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and
> privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or
> distribution is prohibited unless specifically provided under the New Mexico
> Inspection of Public Records Act. If you are not the intended recipient,
> please contact the sender and destroy all copies of this message. -- This
> email has been scanned by the Sybari - Antigen Email System.

Edward Cherlin
http://www.EarthTreasury.org/