[OLPC library] OLPC+Polywell Fusion power+EMS/SCADA = Off grid power for rural areas = Better healthcare

Brown, Henry, DoIT Henry.Brown at state.nm.us
Mon Jan 28 12:59:50 EST 2008

OLPC + Fusion/electric power + EMS/SCADA = Off grid power for rural areas

Could OLPC be used to monitor (EMS/SCADA) polywell fusion/electric power generator for off-grid power?

Small fusion reactor may allow off-grid  electricity - Polywell Fusion reactor

Small fusion reactor developed for US Navy could be used in off grid power generation:
Fusion Reactor - Polywell Fusion Reactor - Santa Fe, NM
First Fusion reactor to produce more electricity than it uses. Could reverse global warming, oil, nukes.
http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/GeneMachine/34906
http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/GeneMachine/77493
http://www.santafenewmexican.com/SantaFeNorthernNM/Robert_Bussard__1928_2007_Physicist_known_for_pursuits_into_fus
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polywell
Decentralize Electric Power Grids
I worked managing the power grid in CO, AZ and NM.
http://www.cpluhna.nau.edu/Change/power_generation.htm
http://www.bizjournals.com/albuquerque/stories/2003/04/07/story2.html
Centralized power grids are based on fossil fuel economics. Power grids were created to distribute power over long distances to share costs, improve reliability, and reduce energy costs.
Fossil fuels are burned at great distance from cities and high power transmisiion lines move the power losing 10-20% in resistance.
Utility grids have largely been built by local utilities in pieces. Utilities grids interconnect to meet FERC guidelines for reliability.
Centralized power has many problems. Recent power corruption scandals in 2001 California power market caused Governor Gray Davis to be replaced. SW Electric utility cartels inflated prices by shutting down plants on hot days.
http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/RangerRick/11273
Another scenario is the decentralization of power production using the pre-existing gas turbine model. These peak load power plants can deliver power locally to areas requiring power. Gradual replacement of large power grids with small local grids running clean fusion systems may be an example. Other alternative solar or wind power would need to compete for these local markets.
http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/GeneMachine/34906
Recent articles have ignored power grid management problems. I have managed EMS/SCADA systems for power grids in Southwest US.
This game shows how power grids work.
http://www.amazon.com/Power-Grid-Rio-Grande-Games/dp/B0007YDBLE
Game Description
The object of the game is to supply the most cities with power. Players must acquire the raw materials, like coal, oil, garbage, uranium, fusion to power their plants (except for the highly valuable renewable energy wind/solar plants), making it a constant struggle to upgrade your plants for maximum efficiency while still retaining enough wealth to quickly expand your network to get the cheapest routes
A Utility Power Control center is used to manage a multistate power grid.
Power operators monitor changing power requirements and adjust power plants accordingly.
A series of smaller power grids in cities powered locally by fusion power plants could eventually replace the larger grids.
The fossil cost model would be replaced by a fusion cost model.
Fossil electric generators could shed power into carbon sequestration in low power periods.
A series of small fusion reactors could come online as peak load was required.
Utility control rooms would be replaced by automated small grid systems balancing loads locally.
http://www.sgi.com/company_info/newsroom/press_releases/2004/april/entergy.html
http://science-community.sciam.com/thread.jspa?threadID=300005637&messageID=300017361
http://cdiac2.esd.ornl.gov/cseqposter_web_pdf1.pdf

Henry Brown