[OLPC library] wikimedia parser

SJ Klein sj at laptop.org
Fri Jan 4 15:16:39 EST 2008

On Fri, 4 Jan 2008, Seth Woodworth wrote:

>> 2. Consistent style.  I have not figure this part out yet.  Is there a
>> web guru out there who could create some style sheet so all of the
>> content would be rendered consistently?

Some of this is underway (thanks, Diane!).  We should update a section of
the [[style guide]] that reflects how colors are chosen for Sugar, with
guidelines for choosing them for activities and bundles.  Similarly every
bundle should indicate its sources and authors in a visible way, not just
in the metadata.

>> 4.  Collections of collection.  How do you handle the integeration of
>> collections?  For example, if a child installs content bundles that
>> contain wikipedia articles on both physics and math are intra-
>> collection links recreated?

Right now, all bundles are independent.  We need to move towards a model
where you can point to things in other bundles, perhaps with a notion of
namespaces.  A link out to more information could take you to a local
bundle if it exists, or try to find it online of you are connected, or
otherwise indicate that more information isn't available.

> Re: #4:  Maybe we should simply allow right click lookup of all
> words/phrases in a wiki database?  If the content isn't available, maybe a
> link to get the appropriate wiki slice or  website.  This also might be an
> opportunity to pick the brain of Danny over at veropedia, as they seem to be
> doing some live relinking of inter-wiki/external-wiki as new content becomes
> available.

This is more speicfic than solving the general "links between collections"
problem -- and a good idea.  Answers.com has done an excellent job of
implementing a tool like this for the desktop; perhaps we can look to them
for advice.  And Linterweb, who is helping us consider search solutions,
has a similar sort of "one keyword, many sources of information" interface
for their wikiwix search engine -- this is just another sort of
Sugar-embedded searching.  [[keyword lookup]] could use some love.

SJ