[OLPC library] Qs on the kids doc for XO

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Mon Nov 26 06:23:22 EST 2007

I have started some documentation of documentation projects on the
Wiki at OLPC Publications. Please let me know what other projects are
happening.

On Nov 17, 2007 11:57 AM, Anne Gentle <annegentle at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
> I've been working on the doc team doing some kids documentation for
> the XO. It is available on the wiki at
> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Simplified_user_guide.

I'll add a link from my page.

> I welcome you all to
> contribute where and when you can. Future plans are to make an
> image-based rather than text doc (such as those here
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/crimsonninjagirl/sets/72157600039184160/)
> as well as continuing to write sections from the rough table of
> contents posted here:
> http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pjAQh2AGJq8fEij0Kd-1oHw. The
> primary audience is the student but teachers' and parents'
> perspectives are also considered.
>
> I have a few questions.
>
> 1) I see there is a way to get a laptop through the developer's
> program. Does laptop.org have plans for a similar program for
> educators? The reason I'm asking is because I'm considering starting
> XO summer camps in Austin, TX, where kids could attend for a week, and
> teachers could build and test curriculum for the kids in attendance,
> then make that curriculum available as e-books on the XO. I'd need to
> buy a dozen XOs I suppose. Does anyone have ideas for funding for this
> type of idea? I have a draft business plan started. Also, please let
> me know if this would duplicate any other similar efforts.

I have not heard of any plans to provide any developers with XOs. The
Wiki says to install a development envirenment on a regular PC, or run
one in emulation.

I'm working on a project linking a school in Texas with a
coffee-growing village in Tanzania, and on ways of raising funds for
their work together.

> Thanks,
> Anne
> e: annegentle at gmail.com