Puppetry From Around the World

Idit Caperton Idit at MaMaMedia.com
Tue Nov 6 19:47:12 EST 2007

Dear Beth,
A Lovely Idea. Or actually - a lovely set of ideas....
Here are a few questions and suggestions, based on our experience of
creating activities for XO,  that may help you think it through.

You say you are a programmer. For the XO laptop it may be best for you to
use the Python programming language - is that your plan? Especially if you
want to include integration to journal, mesh functionality, etc.
Are you forming a team to work on this project? OR planning to do it
yourself?
Other things to think about: are you also a digital designer, can you use
Photoshop well? are you a writer? a software producer? etc. etc.

It may be best to start by writing a concept paper or proposal that
describes the project you have in mind in detail, and post it on the OLPC
wiki. You can upload hand-drawings and charts and diagrams. The community
may help you work on it. Describe the purpose of it, the software and the
interface you want to build, related curriculum and learning activities,
etc.Then, for a team to build a working Demo (using Python) that runs on the
XO (more developed than the sketch you shared so far). Think about what
people/talent do you need to collaborate with? Did you design/program
anything like this before?

Other things to think about:
Are you thinking about creating a digital toolkit with a related digital
collection of puppets for kids to explore puppets from around the world,
their clothes, features, language, and culture... Maybe better because in
many developing countries where OLPC is the kids may not have access to the
physical materials but they will have access to as many bits as they wish,
photographs from the Net, etc.

Are our thinking about creating a tool for kids to design and then create
their own digital puppets AND physical puppets -- maybe guide them on
wiki-based research that they do from wherever they are in the world about
various puppets in various cultures and told to document their learning
about puppets and kids in other cultures, languages, foods, habits, etc.?

What am I missing?
:)

Best regards, Idit.

Idit Harel Caperton