[OLPC India] Windows on OLPC XO 1.5

Alan Jhonn Aguiar Schwyn alanjas at hotmail.com
Sun Sep 30 02:15:55 EDT 2012

This attach image is a photograph taked with my cel in 2010.This photo shows an XO with Windows XP and another with Sugar.
In Uruguay, when "Plan Ceibal" (uruguayan implementation de OLPC) begins, appears inthe scene the posibility of the high school computers uses Windows / Sugar / GnomeIn the departament of "Treinta y Tres" was made a pilot program of 5000 XO-1 withWindows.I'm not know about the official results of that, but I know that now, "Plan Ceibal" uses Sugarin XO-1 for primary schools, and XO-1.5 with Sugar/Gnome for high schools.
I use that XO with Windows for some hours and get this conclusions:
- The space: the XO-1 have only 1 GB of flash disk.. I'm not sure why, for convenience or space; thewindows, is put an external SD (in that case, of 4 GB)- The speed: some people think about the "poor" 233 mhz of the XO CPU, but, sugar works relativegood. Windows are very very slow: to open a folder, a program, etc.- The memory: 256 MB are good, but only windows takes one hundred or more. And aditional software that is needed for the poor security of windows (an antivirus) takes some memory more..-Sugar an XO have a special communion: the software is design for the hardware, and the hardwarefor the software: you have a display that allows read perfect out in a sundy day: the activities uses a black and white (high contrast) style that increase the effectiveness of that display.. the XO have the "mesh/ad hoc" network that the activities takes an special advantage: the collaboration between some computers.. etc.. windows not have nothing of that!
That discussion can continue a lot of days..
Regards!
Alan