[OLPC India] Windows on OLPC XO 1.5

Josh joshuagay at gmail.com
Sun Sep 30 01:13:24 EDT 2012

Just sharing a somewhat minor/theoretical side-point ... MSFT has announced (and made clear) that all ARM based windows 8 machines must implement the full UEFI spec and to do so in such a way that it restricts/prevents a user from signing their own firmware or disabling UEFI Secure Boot (or ... So if there is a miracle of engineering and some n this case, it is better referred to as 'restricted boot').

So, if a Windows 8 machine is ported to an XO on ARM architecture, then this means that a person could neither dual boot nor replace Windows 8 with Linux plus GNU-and/or-Sugar.

Josh