[OLPC India] windows on OLPC XO 1.5

Satish Jha sjha at vsnl.com
Sat Sep 29 16:40:13 EDT 2012

On 30-09-2012, Nagarjuna G wrote:

The difference is that you have
a job that you want, that takes care of your needs and lets you do what
you wish to do. I have been managing the expenses, paying my staff, not
taking any salary, using my money to buy a few hundred pieces to give
away to some schools as no other person or organization was ready and
those governments that were ready, I had little capacity to meet their
process challenges. (If you see the RFP from UP, they need $10 Million
in earnest money; every order requires a bank guarantee for the like
amount; everyone who is selling has stronger muscle to deal with the
governments; they require deep-touch approach and someone being there
all the time; dealing with government and going through the procurement
process requires several scores of steps and the cost of procurement
over a period is seldom below several percentage points of the total
cost and anyone who deals with the realities of these decisions, knows
what it takes and others are usually innocent of its challenges...)

So, there are many facets to making something happen. You are right in
what you feel and the world is right in its own way. In case helping the
underprivileged children, who have only one life each is your gaol then
while delays may not hurt you, do keep them deprived and you may want to
find a way to reach them sooner. As a volunteer to the cause having put
all I have on the block, including the political capital and personal
resources that I could muster, I would urge that reaching them sooner is
way more productive than keep them waiting for next couple decades. And
better to know the devil as well than be victims of innocence.

--- On