[OLPC India] Hi All...Why taking product to market is so slow in laptop.org

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Sun Nov 18 19:48:13 EST 2012

On Sun, Nov 18, 2012 at 4:10 PM, Pradyot Sahu <prady at ieee.org> wrote:
> Hi Walter
>
> Before anybody thinks anything otherwise, let me tell that I am a
> long-time well-wisher of OLPC and a father of 6 year old kid who wants
> a laptop or tablet to learn and play. I can buy him a below $50
> Android tablet in India, but there is no suitable content for him like
> you have in Sugar platform and I do not know how much durable the
> tablet will be.
>
> "Taking product to market" is about Product development lifecycle and
> certainly the hardware...the laptop or tablet...we are waiting for so
> long. I know there is an OLPC tablet prototype waiting for long
> time....
>
> I am comparing with very small Chinese contract tablet manufacturers
> who work for-profit with large and well-funded non-profit.OLPC.(not
> small non-profit organizations who bring the tablet to children)
>
> After so many years, where is the tablet for my kid...? Why I can not
> buy one in Internet? Just like Raspberry Pi ?
> Please do not blame governments,...they will be like that for whatever
> reasons...
>
> but OLPC strategy of product development to market...hardware, of
> course....can be changed....like Raspberry Pi ?
>

> Thanks
> Pradyot
>
> On Sun, Nov 18, 2012 at 6:27 PM, Walter Bender <walter.bender at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sun, Nov 18, 2012 at 5:06 AM, Pradyot Sahu <prady at ieee.org> wrote:
>>> Hi All...
>>>
>>> Have you ever wondered?
>>> Why taking product to market is so slow in laptop.org ?
>>
>> Not sure what exactly you are referring to, but by what metrics are
>> you assessing OLPC? They come out with new machines annually and the
>> Sugar community releases a new version once every six months. Both
>> pretty standard relative to industry metrics. And the fact that they
>> are small non-profits, not giant multinationals, is all the more
>> impressive, IMHO.
>>
>> regards.
>>
>> -walter
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> Prady
>>

>> --
>> Walter Bender
>> Sugar Labs
>> http://www.sugarlabs.org

Your presumption is that OLPC is trying to bring a tablet to market. I
don't know one way or another if that is the case. (They did build an
engineering prototype last year.) I do know that OLPC invented the
netbook computer and has a solid track-record in bringing product to
market in that space. The XO 4.0, due to hit mass production in Q1
2013, is touch enabled and transforms into a tablet. Beautiful
dual-mode display for a great reading experience. It can run off the
grid (solar) and will be as durable as the previous XO models. Looks
to be a great machine. I've been told that the price will be >>US$200.
Is it a tablet? No. Is a great machine for learning? Yes. Does it run
Sugar? Yes.

regards.

-walter

--