[OLPC India] India Digest, Vol 41, Issue 7

Saurabh Adhikari adhikaris at hotmail.com
Sat May 8 17:52:10 EDT 2010

> Date: Sat, 8 May 2010 09:45:43 -0700
> Subject: Re: [OLPC India] India Digest, Vol 41, Issue 7
> From: sverma at sfsu.edu
> To: adhikaris at hotmail.com
> CC: india at lists.laptop.org
> >

> Dear Saurabh,
> The project Satyaprasad mentioned is a privately funded effort via KMR
> Foundation in Hyderabad. The laptops come from Digital Bridge
> Foundation/Dhirubhai Ambani Knowledge Trust. These are all XO-1.
>
> I am working with Prof. Humaira Mahi (SFSU faculty) on a research
> project, and this micro-deployment is a part of it (which is why I
> know of the details). The link that Satyaprasad provided has other
> details, including pictures from a recent training event (huge thanks
> to Prof. Nagarjuna). We also have a grassroots group for olpc
> Hyderabad (note lowercase) with a page on Facebook
> (http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/group.php?gid=461731425433)
>
> Production of XO-1 is pretty much over, so in the foreseeable future,
> it will have to be XO 1.5 Do we have XO 1.5 pricing available for
> India? I am also interested in pricing of parts (batteries, screens,
> etc).
>
> Dear Satyaprasad,
>
> Translation of Sugar interface into Telugu already exists to some
> extent. You can look it up for Telugu (and other languages) at
> http://translate.sugarlabs.org/ Anyone can pitch in to translate, as
> long as they know Telugu and English. You can see how this is done
> using basic instructions at
> http://dev.laptop.org/~sayamindu/pootleforxo2.pdf The way interface
> translation works is that each word, which appears in English on
> Sugar, will be replaced by Telugu. Gather a few people and it can be
> translated in a week.
>
> As for content translation, that's a lot more tricky. I've kept up
> with the discussions of textbook scanning, etc. I have not seen any
> issues raised about copyrights and violation of copyrights. I am not
> sure how much of a sticky point that will be eventually when the
> deployment of these ebooks will scale up.
>
> I have also copied Sayamindu Dasgupta, the person leading the
> translation effort at OLPC. Maybe he can chime in.
>
> cheers,
> Sameer
> --
> Dr. Sameer Verma, Ph.D.
> Associate Professor, Information Systems
> Director, Campus Business Solutions
> San Francisco State University
> http://verma.sfsu.edu/
> http://opensource.sfsu.edu/
> http://cbs.sfsu.edu/
> http://is.sfsu.edu/

Dr Verma,

Thank you for sharing in detail the project initiative.
I would think it may be helpful to integrate several such micro-deployments from the point of view of learning.
As of now, reading Satya's mail, I felt that they are looking for serious help.
I would also think that the level of engagement that you talk about may render such micro-deployments nonviable as well. Perhaps that is why Prof Negroponte emphasizes scale so much.

That said, would have the following:

Your preferred Deployment Strategy for OLPC XOs in grade 1 or 6 or 9?
A set of benefits that have been found to have accrued over a period of one year or longer among children who have used OLPC laptops for that long? Documented will be a lot better. However, a professor's voice is a good documentation in itself.

Thank you