[OLPC India] Use of XOs for Vocational Training & Back Office Support

Asksst at aol.com Asksst at aol.com
Thu Oct 2 11:10:07 EDT 2008

Thanks Marc, Walter, Sameer , Ankur and others. What I gather is that
dual-boot XOs could be used in the classrooms as well as for vocational training  &
Back Office Support with attached key-board & mouse, but performance  may be
an issue.

Can you also educate us on other associated aspects:
1. Server Requirements & estimated cost, if we start with 20 XOs  and add up
to 100 in a year or two
2. Power Backup / UPS and other infrastructure requirements as at RK Girls
College, we rarely get more than 6-7 hours electricity and voltage
fluctuations are often from 110V-350V. The supply is during days some weeks  and during
night other weeks.
3. Networking between XOs and use of email thru XOs. Currently  we are using
Tata Indicom wireless (Web Serf) services available from  Kanpur dealers.
4. Best way of using VOIP services of Vonage or other service from US
providers

Regards .......... Sheel

In a message dated 9/30/2008 11:46:41 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
sverma at sfsu.edu writes:

On Tue,  Sep 30, 2008 at 8:31 AM, Walter Bender <walter.bender at gmail.com>
wrote:
> I cannot speak for OLPC, but in general, the Sugar learning  platform
> is configurable as a session option such that a computer can  be
> switched back and forth between a conventional Linux desktop and  Sugar
> at the granularity of the login session. So yes, it would be  possible
> to support the scenario that you are  proposing.
>
> regards.
>
> -walter
>
>  --
> Walter Bender
> Sugar Labs
>  http://www.sugarlabs.org

Ah! You are proposing  using a GNOME-like environment on an XO to have
access to things like  OpenOffice, etc. but I suspect Sheel's approach
is leaning towards  "vocational" as in turn-the-handle-and-the
mill-will-produce MS Windows +  MS Office. Sheel, is this correct? Are
you thinking of specific platforms,  or are you thinking of specific
skills? If it is the latter, Walter's  suggestion will work well.
Skills for word-processing, spreadsheets, etc.  can be obtained easily
with OpenOffice on Linux on an XO, without the  overhead of an
anti-virus suite :-)

cheers,
Sameer
--