[OLPC India] Use of XOs for Vocational Training & Back Office Support

Erik Garrison erik at laptop.org
Thu Oct 2 11:46:16 EDT 2008

On Thu, Oct 02, 2008 at 11:10:07AM -0400, Asksst at aol.com wrote:
> Thanks Marc, Walter, Sameer , Ankur and others. What I gather is that
> dual-boot XOs could be used in the classrooms as well as for
> vocational training  & Back Office Support with attached key-board &
> mouse, but performance  may be an issue.

I strongly encourage you to examine debxo, a Debian + Gnome distribution
for the XO produced by Andrés Salomon, for use in your vocational
training program.

See: http://lists.laptop.org/pipermail/devel/2008-August/018378.html for
the announcement.  The current version can be downloaded from:
http://queued.mit.edu/~dilinger/debxo/ and installed on any unsecured
laptop.  (The laptops must be 'unlocked' using a developer key to
install a non-standard operating system.  See
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Activation_and_Developer_Keys for a
description of what a developer key does).

The debxo Debian + Gnome distribution will provide you with a
traditional desktop environment and access to free/open source software
for vocational training (word processors, spreadsheet programs, web
browsers, skype, etc.).  I do not have hard numbers but I would expect
the Debian distribution to be less resource-intensive than Windows XP.
For instance, Windows XP does not fit on the stock internal memory and
requires installation on an external SD memory card, whereas Debian
doesn't.

The system runs quite well on the XO.  I have been testing it on my
personal XO for more than a month without any significant issues.

If the use of the machines (young vs. older users) is not interleaved,
you can simply wipe the machines and install one OS or the other as
needed.  Dual boot is also an option but to my knowledge it has not been
tested in this context.

I will be happy to answer any questions you have regarding this.

Best,
Erik