[OLPC India] Use of XOs for Vocational Training & Back Office Support

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Wed Oct 1 01:56:23 EDT 2008

See http://www.liliputing.com/ for other options. About half of these
sub-$400 laptops run Linux, and half Windows, an astonishing change
from the rest of the PC market. OLPC's Sugar software will soon run on
most versions of Linux, and in a year or two laptops will get mesh
networking comparable to the OLPC XO. Microsoft isn't willing either
to put Sugar on Windows, or to allow the Free Software community to do
it.

On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 9:33 PM, K. K. Subramaniam <subbukk at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Monday 29 Sep 2008 9:19:44 pm Asksst at aol.com wrote:
>> We are thinking about dual boot XOs for RK College, because:
>> 1. Besides using them in grades (6-12), we also want to use them for
>> vocation training of those who pass high school and 12th grades.
> Diverting XOs to vocational training may harm primary education in the long
> run. Young children will not be able to hold onto their learning machines.
>
>> 2. We are also thinking about initiating Gram IT activity with help  of
>> Byrraju Foundation. For convenience, I'm attaching a document giving some
>> articles about GramIT..
> Netbooks like Asus EEE PCs may be a better option for such use. These retail
> from Rs. 17,000 onwards in single unit quantities. EEE PCs dont have a
> daylight readable screen but I don't think that is an issue for office work.
>
> Subbu

Don't panic.--HHGTTG, Douglas Adams
fivethirtyeight.com, 3bluedudes.com Obama still moving ahead in EC!
http://www.obamapedia.org/ Join us!
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/User:Mokurai For the children