[OLPC India] Common Concerns in Pilots

JV Avadhanulu jv at auroville.org.in
Thu Jul 10 05:49:27 EDT 2008

Dear All,
Arjun's point regarding the commonality of concerns is very well taken. I am listing some of the major issues in Auroville pilot ( and I think they would be common to  many other such efforts / projects)
1. The pilot starts with small numbers. How to order and get them at a reasonable price. In due course of time, this concern could be addressed if OLPC India  bundles the country-wide requirements
2. Need  for CDs of XO-1 and XS images/ installation software. These are so huge that many people cant down load them
3. Training of teachers and technical teams
4. A transition plan from the conventional teaching of today to OLPC based education. This may involve some courseware and interactive learning packages to be developed broadly in line with 'standard syllabus'. This would be a huge task
5. A help line to get technical support when the local resources run into a wall.
6. The negative stance of the Government is big dampener and inhibits Administrators and potential funders. Can we do something to shift negative stance of the Government?
I request other pilot projects / deployment coordinators to add to this list

Dear Arjun,
Thank you very much for your mail and the energy you are bringing into this emailing list. I will prepare a write up and add it to the Wiki and circulate the pointer.Thanks for the pointer to the deployment guide, I looked at it earlier.

Regards,
JV Avadhanulu @ Auroville
+91-9443797563