[OLPC India] Some queries on OLPC and its Connectivity

Hemant Goyal goyal.hemant at gmail.com
Tue Jan 22 01:53:23 EST 2008

Hi Chitra,

Are you trying to :

1] Chat by using a wireless server which is not connected to the Internet?
OR
2] Chat when the XO and the laptop are connected to the Internet
through some mechanism?

For the first case:
I am assuming you will have to set up a jabber server yourself so that
chat messages can be exchanged. I am not very sure if the method for
setting a jabber server here :
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Ejabberd_Configuration allows for
laptops(not XOs) to connect. I am guessing someone will be able to
post the correct settings for ejabberd to allow for your use case.

For the second case:
You can simply use the Browse activity to log into gmail chat (on the
XO) and use the gtalk/or google chat on your laptop.

I hope someone else comes up with a better and more descriptive reply
regarding your problem.

Best,
Hemant

--
Hemant Goyal | http://www.nsitonline.in/hemant

Chairman, CSI NSIT Students Branch | http://societies.nsitonline.in/csi
Founding Member and Student Mentor | NSITonline Webteam |
http://www.nsitonline.in
Member, Databases Group, CSE, IIT Delhi
Undergraduate Student, IT Department NSIT, Delhi University, India
Contact:+91 9811674660