[OLPC India] OLPC - Cowdung/Biogas power - Kyoto Protocol logic

Sameer Verma sverma at sfsu.edu
Mon Apr 21 12:34:21 EDT 2008

Sven AERTS wrote:
> Would it not be more feasible to use biogas for cooking and cooling,
> and brewing some vodka - I mean - ethanol to power a little fuel cell
> to run the OLPC ?
> Don't tell me there's no Vodka-equivalent over there... so the
> farmers know how to brew ethanol ...

The "ethanol" route can have societal misgivings :-)

Small biogas plants aren't that common (one per household) but can be
found across many Indian villages. We (my family) have one in our
backyard (http://www.flickr.com/photos/sverma/1705029738/). Runs off of
cowdung (gobar), and pipes methane into the house for cooking and
lighting. We've been thinking about running a power generator
(gasoline/petrol or diesel, with minor mods).

The hard part about maintaining biogas plants on a per family basis is
the maintenance of cows/buffaloes (just anecdotal...I speak from my own
experience). If household consumption cannot justify the need, it
becomes harder to keep them and feed them. We have a fairly good
consumption of milk in the household and we also have farmland that can
use the manure which is another byproduct of a biogas plant. The
approach might scale better on a slightly larger scale though. We are
also looking into running this thing off of decomposable garbage...

Sameer

--
Dr. Sameer Verma, Ph.D.
San Francisco State University