[OLPC India] OLPC - Cowdung/Biogas power - Kyoto Protocol logic

Sven AERTS svenaerts228 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 21 11:11:48 EDT 2008

Would it not be more feasible to use biogas for cooking and cooling,
and brewing some vodka - I mean - ethanol to power a little fuel cell
to run the OLPC ?
Don't tell me there's no Vodka-equivalent over there... so the
farmers know how to brew ethanol ...

As a "Kyoto Protocol Consultant", I dare to say that prices of
PhotoVoltaics or Fuel Cells shouldn't be a problem since the OLPC-
organisation could claim the CO2-certificates for the whole project:
1. I think that opening up the olpc-project from a computer project
to an education to a CO2-reducing project would enable the OLPC-
education project to get access to the financial power behind the
"Kyoto Protocol".
I've posted a presentation on the matter:
http://www.slideshare.net/SvenAERTS/olp-csmall

2. The logic is; A normal PC consumes an average x kWh.  Electricity
is produced on the average in that country by emitting y tons of
Greenhouse gasses. So using an OLPC only uses x-something kWh x 1
million OLPC's in this country and the difference of the normal
computers - olpc computers in Greenhouse gasses NOT emitted can be
claimed as CO2 certificates and sold to CO2 emitting
countries'governments and companies in the West that HAVE to buy CO2-
certificates (price is now about 20€/CO2certificate.

3. I'd say: present OLPC as a technique where you go via the kids and
the schools to the parents and society as a whole to catalyze CO2-
reducing projects and the accompanying CO2-certificates: let the
ministiry of education make a list of all the Schools and public
buildings ... get an agreement to equip them with PV, Solar
collector, WindTurbine, relighting with low energy lamps ... get a
mandate to present that to the "Kyoto Protocol" financiers that need
CO2-certificates ... I am sure I can convince them to finance such a
project under these conditions.

Sincerely,
Skype: SvenAERTS
Kyoto Protocol Consultant-Brussels
Engineer, Car Mechanic, Post Graduated in international Relations/
Finance and Peace Development