[Health] HIV AIDS Education and OLPC

Sandra Thaxter sandra.thaxter at verizon.net
Wed Sep 1 11:57:51 EDT 2010

thanks for the info Beth
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Beth Santos
  To: Sandra Thaxter
  Cc: deboer.jennifer at gmail.com ; sandra at smallsolutionsbigideas.org ; Alan Papert ; Dari Al-Huwail ; OLPC Health list
  Sent: Tuesday, August 31, 2010 4:39 PM
  Subject: Re: HIV AIDS Education and OLPC

  Hi all,

  Looking at Sandra's ideas, you could even put the Microsoft Word guide INTO Etoys itself and then structure ten lessons out of it using the book function. That way everything can be conserved into one medium rather than constantly flipping from .pdfs to Internet to Etoys back and forth.

  Say for example you created two weeks of material on HIV and AIDS, with ten 50-90 minute lessons. They could work together along a storyline that could keep kids engaged. You could use Etoys not only to illustrate complex ideas like epidemics and how they spread, but you could also have an all-inclusive lesson that provides written information, visual aids, interactive games and quizzes and other things all in one.

  Some ideas for AIDS lessons, looking at maybe 3-5 grades:

  (from http://schools.nyc.gov/Academics/FitnessandHealth/StandardsCurriculum/HIVAIDScurriculum#3)
    a.. How do we catch germs that make us sick?
    b.. How does the body fight disease?
    c.. How does HIV affect the immune system?
    d.. What are healthy choices that people can make?
    e.. How can we get help when we have a problem?

  Also found a whole bunch of learning materials here: http://portal.unesco.org/education/en/ev.php-URL_ID=12167&URL_DO=DO_TOPIC&URL_SECTION=201.html

  Beth

  ---
  Beth Santos