[OLPC-GSoC] Vision Activity

Chris Hager chris at linuxuser.at
Fri Mar 28 15:34:45 EDT 2008

Hi Nirav,

I was already waiting for this one! :)

I enjoyed reading about your tests with opencv on python and am
enthusiastic about the possibilities opencv has for the xo with it's webcam:
- Face recognition
- Object recognition
- Motion tracking
- Gesture reckognition
- Drawing with real life objects as brushes
- Games involving motion
- ...

WOW -- and opencv is so quick also!

One of the problems right now is that it's not at all easy using it with
own project ideas. So maybe before starting to write an activity with
opencv-python, I'd be interested in thinking about the possiblity of
writing an API. Something which makes using opencv really easy.

This could do the haarfile stuff, and you'd need to make it quick,
produce a good documentation and a number of examples along the way.
Also you can make examples for pippy, a python learning activity for the
xo, so that teens can straight away start with image recognition when
they start python programming :)

This could be one idea how to proceed; I would certainly like to hear
others!

- Chris