[OLPC-GSoC] Appropriate Tools for Peruvian Kids

Luis Gustavo Lira dr_complexity at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 23 22:16:24 EDT 2008

Appropriate Tools for Peruvian Kids

The Peruvian system of public education provides three
distinct levels of instruction:

- Initial - Three years (ages 3-5)
- Primary - Six years (ages 6-11)
- Secondary - Five years (ages 12-16)

However, not every child has access to all three
levels of education. Especially for children living in
rural zones, the closest school may be so far away
that attendance is not possible. Many children have to
walk two or three hours each way to and from school.
Some children in the primary and secondary grades will
stay during the week with a family in the town where
the school is located, returning to their home only on
the week-ends.

Rural schools are multi-grade schools and many grades
are taught together by one teacher. The curriculum is
multicultural and bilingual. In these schools there
are no computers, no calculators, no library and no
Internet. The teachers use a blackboard and chalk--and
maybe a text--and endeavor to lead their poor but
eager students to knowledge. Courses offered are
basic. Teachers must deal with several youngsters who
come from homes where neither parent can read or write
and are not able to speak Spanish, but only native
dialects.

In Peru, OLPC laptops will be used by primary students
from multi-grade rural schools.
http://www.dailymotion.com/primariamultigrado
http://primaria.huascaran.edu.pe/

We are interested in mentoring participants. “Cultura
Libre” is a peruvian grassroot organization we are a
small group, but a highly effective organization. Our
primary purpose is to attract the best and brightest
student from around the world. Our Projects have been
established to provide unique challenges for students
and the opportunity of be part of an international
project with the potential to create substantive
social benefits. We hope that students share our
enthusiasm and optimism.

We are looking for projects to address specific
problems in:

- Agriculture & Entrepreneurship
- Health & Nutrition
- Disaster Prevention
- Preserving Culture and Traditional Knowledge