[OLPC-GSoC] Visual Programming Language Project

Shahriar Haque mhaque1 at qatar.cmu.edu
Sun Mar 23 15:31:57 EDT 2008

Hello everybody,

I'm Shahriar and I'm a Computer Science student at Carnegie Mellon
University, PA, USA. I intend to develop a Visual Programming language
aimed at teaching programming concepts in a non-textual way using
metaphors that are understood by children of any cultural background.

Most of us are visual learners and thus understand best information is
presented to us in the form of pictures. In fact, even the toughest
theoretical concepts of computer science cannot be taught without the
aid of visual cues. EToys, a programming environment / language
installed on XO Laptop, is a good example of the usage graphics to
explain topics in sciences and mathematics. However, EToys is also bound
to the restrictions of textual programming. One has to familiarize
himself with the syntax in order to write and understand code. But every
programmer knows that programming is not about syntax, it’s about
problem solving.

The language I plan to develop will free the programmer from syntax and
help him visualize key concepts of computing. There have been many
attempts of developing data-flow languages. But most of them are
commercial and targeted towards systems design in an industrial setting.
The proposed language will be designed in a way so that it reinforces
ideas about OOP, data-structures, software design models etc in a visual
way. The end result will be a language which can parse the same diagrams
drawn by programming instructors on white-boards and produce clean
cross-platform applications.

If there are any mentors who will guide me in this project. Please let
me know. I would be very grateful to work under your supervision.

Thanks

Shahriar